Frequently Asked Questions

You have questions? We have answers!



How Do I Apply?

Visit our Registration Information page in order to start your application!

Are There Prerequisites or Language Requirements?

All students entering the pre-intermediate English program must have 
at least a basic understanding of spoken English to join.
Students entering the beginner French program should have at least an 
intermediate level of English before registering.
Students who are looking to join the IELTS or CELPIP group programs 
should have a good working knowledge of English before taking a group 
class or private lessons. If you feel you are at a pre-intermediate 
level, we would recommend general English classes first.

Which level of English class should I register for?

You can take a short language assessment quiz here:

General Questions and Answers at Canada College of Education Toronto



When Can I Start My Classes?

Depending on your availability, we should be able to book your first lesson a day or two from the time your registration is processed.

How Often Are The Classes?

Class frequency is entirely up to you. We recommend that your first class is 1 hour in length. You can book subsequent lessons whenever you are available, though we recommend spacing out your lessons if you have the time. This allows you time to study on what you have learned between lessons, work on the material your instructor has provided, and to come up with writing samples or questions for your instructor for the next class.

How Do Trial Lessons Work?

If you are not satisfied with your first one-hour lesson and would like a tuition refund, you must let us know by sending us an email to directly after your first class. The registration fee of $50 is non-refundable.

Questions and Answers about Private Lessons at Canada College of Education Toronto



When Can I Join A Group Class?

Students may join our English group classes on any Monday, as the program is ongoing.
Beginner French programs have specific start dates. Please see the French Language page for more information.
You may start a group IELTS class on any Tuesday evening, and a group CELPIP class on any Monday evening. Class topics that are covered each week rotate, so you won’t miss a section of the exam.

Are There Trial Lessons For Group Class?

If you are a local student, or are in Canada on a work permit or visitor visa, yes. If you are not satisfied with your first class, you must immediately send us an email at to request a tuition refund. The registration fee is non-refundable.
If you are an international student, you will be unable to request a tuition refund once you have received your study permit. If you are not satisfied with the class, please let us know. We will work with you to accommodate.

What Is Your Attendance Policy?

Students must attend at least 80% of their group classes for their study permits to remain in good standing. There are no make-up classes for missed exam preparation courses.

Questions and Answers about Group Lessons at Canada College of Education Toronto



Are you a Designated Learning Institution? What is your DLI number?

Canada College of Education is a Designated Learning Institution. This means that we are able to host international students who have enrolled in a full-time general language program. Students can apply for their study permits by enrolling in one of our programs, and by submitting a Letter of Admission sent by CCE Toronto along with their study permit application to the IRCC. Our DLI number is O19833653497.

For more information about DLIs, please see the IRCC DLI page here:

What I Need To Apply?

Once you receive your Letter of Admission from CCE Toronto, you will need to create an account on the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) website. The IRCC is responsible for handling applications for Canadian visas and study permits.
Once you create an account, you will need:
– A copy of your Letter of Admission from CCE Toronto
– Proof of your identity (a valid passport & two recent passport photos)
– Proof of your financials (with funds to sustain you during your time studying, including tuition)
– A credit card (to pay the $150 study permit registration fee)
A complete list of documents can be found on their site HERE.

How long will it take to receive my Letter of Admission?

Once your application has been received and processed, you will receive your Letter of Admission within 3 business days.

Do I have to pay all of my tuition upfront?

You will need to pay for at least 4 weeks of classes upfront (as well as the $125 registration fee) to secure a spot in the program and to receive your Letter of Admission. Once you arrive in Canada and before your first class, you will need to pay another 8 weeks of classes. After that, you can pay your tuition monthly or weekly.

How do I apply for my study permit?

How long will it take to receive a decision about my study permit?

The current wait time for study permits is approximately 12 weeks.

What do I do if I don’t receive a decision before my start date?

In most cases, students are able to push back their start date if they have not yet received their study permit. Please contact us at as soon as you think you will not be able to make your intended start date so that we may accommodate your request for deferral.

What happens if my study permit is refused?

If your study permit application is denied, you will be sent a refusal letter from the IRCC. This is a document with a barcode at the top of the page that will be emailed to you. In order to be eligible for a tuition refund as per the terms of the student enrollment contract, you will need to send a copy of this document to us. Your refund will be processed within 10 business days.

My study permit has been approved! What’s the next step?  

Congratulations! Please be sure to let us know as soon as your study permit has been approved by sending us an email at Before you start your classes, you will need to send in a copy of your study permit, as well as a copy of your travel insurance. In total, you will also need to pay at least 12 weeks of tuition upfront (including the amount you paid as a deposit). If you have any other questions, please be sure to reach out.

Do you offer travel insurance?

Travel insurance is not available through the college, but is mandatory for all international students. You can choose any travel insurance provider – most are quite affordable. Please be sure to send us a copy of your travel insurance along with a copy of your study permit before your first class.

Questions and Answers for International Students at Canada College of Education Toronto



I’m in Canada on an existing study permit. I want to transfer to CCE or extend my study permit. How do I get a new Letter of Admission?

Students who are in Canada on an existing study permit will need to apply again as an international student. At least two months of tuition must be paid upon registration. If your study permit extension/transfer is denied, you will be refunded the tuition costs.

How do I extend my study permit or transfer to your school?

You can apply for either on the IRCC website by logging into your existing account. For more information:

Questions and Answers about transferring or extending study permit at Canada College of Education Toronto